Friday, September 26, 2008

Israel Trip 2008 - Part I

For those who might be interested in what a typical trip to the Holy Land might encompass I will give a summary of the trip I just completed….my fifteenth trip!!

Many people have looked at me as though I am crazy when I say I this is my fifteenth trip. No I am not Jewish, nor do I have relatives in Israel. My first trip was in 1991 – it was breathtaking, little did I know that I would return again and again, and hopefully again in 2009. Why?

As I prepared to blog my current trip I have asked myself that many times. Why return again and again? Why incur the expense? Why go through the stress of international flight and fatigue? Why do it Jeanne?

My only answer is that I love Israel and the people of Israel with a supernatural love. I do not say this as some super-saint, super-religious zealot. I say this from my heart. I believe that God wants us to not only love Israel and His Chosen People, in a practical, verbal manner, but to love them with action. If I claim to love the Holy Land because God says it is His own precious land and people, where else would I want to spend my money and time? I believe it is what God wants of me, Jeanne Sant, although I am not sure why.

I also believe that as a Christian, I should want to visit the land that our God calls Holy. The ancient Jews made the pilgrimage to Jerusalem three times a year, with modern travel can a believer in 2008 make the trip at least once in a life time.

All that aside, the truth is – it is a life-changing experience for the believer. You have heard that said-but until you experience it yourself, you may not believe it. Standing where the ancient Kings of Israel stood, standing on the Temple Mount where God lived in the Holy of Holies, sailing on the Sea of Galilee where Jesus walked, or standing in front of the empty Tomb – will change your life.

Even on this trip I heard people say that they could not wait to get home and start reading Scripture with new eyes. My dear roommate for this trip, Donna, was an example. She was almost in a frenzy each evening to get back to her room and read Scripture. I will remember fondly the evening that she read, aloud, Ezekiel Chapters 1-4 as I lay curled up and comfortable under the covers in our hotel in Jerusalem, listening and discussing what it meant. What a memory of a life time.


With the next entry I will begin a summary of the sights and experiences of my September 2008 trip to God’s Holy Land. I will not go into detail about each site, but I just want to give a taste of the sites that can be seen and experienced with a ‘typical’ trip to Israel…..believe me, after 15 trips I can say that no trip is “typical” – God directs each one in His special way, and in the heart of each traveler.

Oh yes – I am beginning to plan my next trip- God wiling- for 2009. If you might be interesested in going along –bring your church-contact me at jpsant.netzero.net. I have three great tour groups that I have traveled with and can highly recommend. I also am trying to get enough women interested in a “Women’s Trip” that would put an emphasis on the women of Scripture. Let me know if you are interested.

For the fifteenth time the Scripture that keeps occurring to my mind as I traveled through the land was “Why have I found favor in your eyes that you should take notice of me…” Ruth 2:10. Who am I that God would bless me with fifteen trips to the Holy Land?

Thank You dear Lord for another trip to Your Holy Land!

No comments: