Monday, October 6, 2008

Trip - Part IX

(For those who did travel along with me in September – forgive me if I have confused the sequence of the various stops. We saw soooooooo very much and my notes are incomplete. I remember what we saw, just not the exact sequence. I guess I will just have to take better notes on the next trip! And I have not included any pics - having trouble loading them.)

Our last day:
The most special of all sites – the Garden Tomb. We start out a little bit later in the day because we will go directly to the airport this evening. It is clear and beautiful. We sit in view of “Calvary” – or Place of the Skull. It does look like the face of a skull. A tour guide from the Garden Association explains what we are seeing. His theme is…this is great…but remember…the tomb is empty – we worship God, not the empty site.

A short few steps through a beautiful garden and we see the empty tomb. It is always a moving moment. We celebrate the Lords Supper in the shade of a beautiful tree. Our pastor led us in a quiet and serene time of prayer and contemplation. (Thank you God that I am here once again.) What a way to start the day!

A drive across town to the Holocaust Museum, spending a few hours looking though this amazing museum. I am always choked-up when I walk through the museum dedicated to all the children that were killed.

A drive to the south west of Jerusalem to the valley where David met Goliath. We had such a great time as we re-enacted the confrontation between David and the giant. Not any of us will ever read the passage in Scripture again without thinking about this special moment.

A great going-away dinner where everyone who wanted to say a few words about the trip was invited to speak. Several who really did not want to make this trip stood up and said now they were so very glad they had done it. Several said the typical “My life will never be the same!”

What have I forgotten to mention in this blog? We had time for shopping several times, even at a modern mall, and plenty of time for eating! There was time for fellowship with old friends, and the making of new, lifelong friends. We walked, we talked, we cried.

Oh yes, at the Mt. of Olives overlook several people had the opportunity to take a short camel ride, and we had our group-picture taken.

We saw Bethlehem and the Shepherds Field – but from the distance. Bethlehem is now part of the West Bank – and sometimes not very safe to enter. We decided to be safe.

On the boat ride on the Galilee they raised the American Flag, and we sang the National Anthem.

On yes, we had to opportunity to stop at a site that was a coffee shop with the theme of “Elvis Presley” what fun. Even in Israel there is an Elvis sighting!

So much more…but that is it for this blog. My ending thought….I can’t wait to go back again!

No comments: